Thursday, April 12, 2007

2-trick-pony

Apropos Shawn's discussion of philosophers being n-trick ponies, I think I've figured out the two general tricks that I currently have:

  1. Prod metaphysicians about their epistemology
  2. Prod ethicists about their philosophy of mind.

Hopefully I'll get a few more in the near future. I also find that the more I read ethicists talking philosophy of mind, the less I feel like I understand it myself, since so much of their discussion glosses over major issues.

2 comments:

Shawn said...

i have yet to figure out my tricks. n=0, d'oh!

Anonymous said...

Ah gad; prodding metaphysicians about their epistemology is the only way to progress through the morasse of metaphysics. This same principle which applies to (say) modal metaphysics applies to religious metaphysics and is (in my opinion) one of the best arguments against religious belief. Just ask, "How do you know?"